Monday, November 8, 2010

Mirror Project Completed...Check!

I finally finished the mirror this past weekend....YAY!!
In case you missed it, you can see the start of the project here.

Last weekend I sanded the entire mirror and stained it.  I used minwax wood finish in a dark maple color I believe...but I'm not positive, and I'm not home so I can't check either.  If you're really interested just ask me.

I already wiped off the excess stain on the bottom piece of wood and had just applied the stain on the darker piece.  I let the stain sit for about 5-6 minutes before wiping it off with a clean rag.

We did almost have a catastrophe this weekend, we almost lost the whole thing on Saturday when it unexpectedly decided to rain!  Bryan, thinking he was being helpful, moved the mirror outdoors so I could work on it (while he golfed all day).  Thankfully I woke up before it got TOO wet and was able to throw my superman cape on and muscle it back inside by myself.  
The mirror only sustained minor injuries...I can't say the same for hubs.

I added two coats of polyurethane and sanded with a very fine grit sand paper between coats.  Here it is...


 I used a satin finish so it's not quite as glossy as it looks in these pictures.  I also used a small piece of trim to fill a gap on both sides of the mirror between the glass and wood. 

 I decided this is my favorite knot on it.  

I love it! 

No comments:

Post a Comment